In the media and on the internet, coffee usually gets its fair share of bad press. However, several studies show that your coffee drinking habit could well be good for you.
Being exceptionally rich in antioxidants, which are accountable for many health benefits, studies have shown that the caffeine content in a cup of coffee, may actually play a protective role in several health conditions. From fewer tooth fillings, to a reduced cancer risk. Here are 5 healthy reasons to indulge your coffee cravings.
Here are 5 healthy reasons to indulge your coffee cravings:
- Stroke – According to a study published in the 2013 journal Stroke, people who consumed higher amounts of green tea or coffee each day, presented with a lower risk of stroke than those who rarely drank the beverages.
- Diabetes – Increasing your intake of coffee by just one cup a day over a 4-year period, has been proven to reduce your risk of Type 2 Diabetes by 11 percent, compared to those not changing their consumption. On the other hand, if you decrease your coffee consumption by more than one cup each day, this may result in an increase in the risk of Type 2 Diabetes of up to 17 percent.
- Tooth Decay – it is thought that coffee may help to improve your dental health, although it will not replace the need for dental floss. Black coffee has been found to provide the best prevention of tooth decay. However additives like sugar and milk may be counterproductive.
- Heart Disease – Drinking around 4 cups of coffee each day could reduce the risk of furred up arteries, which is a symptom of heart disease. It has also been discovered that post-menopausal women drinking 1 -3 cups of coffee each day will lower their risk of death from inflammatory and cardiovascular diseases.
- Stress – If the smell of a rich roast coffee wakens you on a sluggish morning, the aroma may be helping to minimise the effects that sleep deprivation has on your body. It’s understood that it is a trigger in a gene activity that protects nerve cells from stress-related damage.
Our warning about coffee drinking
The majority of health experts agree that it is wise to limit your coffee consumption to a few cups each day. This particularly applies to standard 8oz mug sizes, and not the super large containers that many coffee chains offer. Overdoing your caffeine intake can lead to interrupted insomnia and sleep, stomach upsets, nausea, irritability and nervousness. We suggest you incorporate a splash of milk into your coffee drinking, rather than fully loaded sugary syrups and whipped cream. Too many additional calories will raise your risk for diseases such as Diabetes or Stroke.
It is, of course, widely known that people with certain health issues, such as high blood sugar or high blood pressure, and pregnant women, should limit their coffee intake. It’s best to discuss with your doctor if you have any concerns about how much caffeine is safe for you.
Indulge your cravings with single origin beans
Contact The Coffee Wholesalers for high quality, single origin beans at affordable prices. We are extremely passionate about our coffee varieties and our customers. Visit our website for more information.